By now you’re probably sick of hearing about Coronavirus, but this page is where you’ll be able to find the latest updates about how we’re handling things at Circus Akimbo. Circus Akimbo is committed to the safety of our staff and students, and this is our priority in these uncertain times. We are ramping up our procedures to ensure safety and provide continuity & certainty for all students.
See the bottom of this post for our plans in case of closure.
23/03: In line with the PM’s announcement last night, our studio will be closed to students from midday today. All classes will be running virtually through Zoom. For more information about how this will work, please visit the appropriate page below:
- Kids: https://circusakimbo.com.au/virtual-classes-for-kids/
- Adults: https://circusakimbo.com.au/virtual-classes-for-adults/
16/03: As our studio is fairly small, with class sizes below 15 students at any one time, the current plan is to remain open as long as public schools do the same. We are monitoring advice from NSW Health and will continue to update students as we have more information. As the virus is lipid based and susceptible to soap, frequent cleaning and handwashing will be our first line of defence. Social distancing has proven to be effective in flattening the curve of virus spread, but we hope to offer classes as long as possible to prevent social isolation and boredom.
Students displaying cold & flu symptoms WILL NOT be allowed to participate in classes
- Stay home if you are sick. We are
temporarily amending the cancellation policy to allow make up classes in the
following term if needed. This includes the following cases:
- If you are immunocompromised or are contact with someone who is
- If you think there’s a chance you may have been infected or you display any symptoms of cold, flu or potential COVID-19
- If you would prefer to remain home to minimise risk and practise social distancing
- Notify us: Please notify the studio immediately if you come into contact with someone or are yourself diagnosed with COVID-19
- Wash your hands: Staff and students must wash hands upon entering the studio, before and between classes, and you should avoid touching your face as much as possible
- Minimise contact:
- Partner work is to be discontinued wherever possible
- Spotting will be limited to light spotting if absolutely essential
- Students are asked to keep a minimum distance of 1m from each other
- Silks will be washed and rotated on a weekly, if not daily basis
- Mats will be cleaned at the end of each day
- All surfaces will be sprayed and wiped between classes
- Hand towels will be temporarily replaced with paper towels – unfortunately health & safety come before environmental concerns
- Cushions and non-essential gear that cannot be easily cleaned will be temporarily removed from the studio
- Shared cups will be placed out of reach of kids
In case of closure
As most of our staff are casual workers, it is our intention to provide ongoing services and virtual classes to our students so there is still a studio to come back to after closure. Students working on ground skills will be entitled to borrow one set of circus equipment e.g. 3 juggling balls, a hula hoop, flower stick & hand sticks etc.
Adults: Students can now book into virtual classes, with ground based conditioning and skills that students can work on from home. The current plan is to send out a link at the scheduled class time with the week’s video, which you will have access to until the next class is uploaded.
Kids: We’re still finalising this plan, but we’re hoping to get a lot of content pre-recorded for kids, so that they have things to keep them busy if school and other activities do get cancelled. The plan would then be for youth circus trainers to be available live during the regular class times to give students feedback, new challenges and check in on progress. If possible, we’ll do this as a group call so students don’t feel as isolated. To opt into virtual classes, simply drop us an email with the subject line Virtual Classes and your child’s name & class time in the email. We’ll then send out an email with links to join the group call and view the content.